Back to top
  • Allstate
    • We help customers realize their hopes and dreams by providing the best products and services to protect them from life's uncertainties and prepare them for the future.
  • Connect With Us
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • LinkedIn
    • Youtube
    • Google Plus
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram

Do I Need Renters Insurance in College?

When you're in college, it may seem like all you own is the pizza box from last night's dinner or the library book gathering dust on your desk. However, unplanned events like fire and theft can make you realize how much your belongings are really worth. To avoid finding out once it's too late, check out Allstate's "How Much Stuff Do You Own?" tool for a value estimate.

College students studying in their apartment

How Can I Protect My Stuff?

Securing what you own through Personal Property Insurance can help you cover your bases if theft, fire, water damage or vandalism. That way, if your roommate leaves the hot plate burning or a neighbor's toilet overflows, you won't have to live without your favorite clothes, electronics or shoes for very long.

In addition, Reimbursed Living Expenses included in your Renters Insurance policies can help you pay for food, temporary housing and other costs. With all of your bases covered, you can keep your eyes on the books—and let Allstate handle the rest.

What Is Personal Property Insurance?

Personal Property Insurance can help you pay to replace your stuff if it's damaged or stolen. With Personal Property Insurance, you may be reimbursed for losses one of two ways:

  • Actual Cash Value coverage, which reimburses you for an item's market price (the amount you'd expect to receive for the lost item at a garage sale or auction web site)

  • Replacement Cost coverage, which covers what it would cost to replace the lost item as new (at the time the claim is made). Premiums for this type of coverage tend to be higher than those for Actual Cash Value coverage.

To determine which type of coverage might be best for you, at a price that won't break your student bank account, call 1-866-605-8250.

Get A Quick, Personalized Renters Quote Today

Get a quote >

Having A Dedicated Agent Can Make All The Difference.

Find an agent >

Are There Other Types of Insurance I Might Need?

If you go to school in an area where flooding is common (you can view a FEMA-issued flood map to assess your risk), you may want to consider Flood Insurance. As the federal government sets flood insurance rates via its National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), most home and property insurance does not cover flood damage, which means additional coverage is necessary.

Life during college is anything but predictable. Keep an up-to-date inventory of the items in your apartment and ensure that the proper information will be at your fingertips should you ever need to make a claim.

Make sure your property is protected by getting a quick, no-obligation quote online, contacting your local Allstate agent or calling 1-866-605-8250 today.

Published: July 2012

General: Coverage subject to terms, conditions, and availability. Policy issuance is subject to qualifications. Allstate Insurance Company, Allstate Indemnity Company, Allstate Fire and Casualty Insurance Company, Allstate Property and Casualty Insurance Company, Northbrook, IL. © 2015 Allstate Insurance Company, Northbrook, IL.

Get A Quote

Your location is set for:

Ashburn, VA 20147 Edit


Retrieve a saved quote

Agents Near 20147

  • Loading...
  • Loading...
More Agents
  • Connect With Us
    © 2016 Allstate Insurance Company
    All Rights Reserved
ECC Monitor: OK