Any place that gets rain has the potential risk of flooding. Learn ways to help prevent flood damage and get tips for protecting your family and belongings if floodwater threatens your area.
Make a plan
- How to know if your home is in a flood zone
- Facts about floods: 6 common myths debunked
- Flooding 101: 5 reasons it may flood
- Safety tips for before, during and after a flood
- Emergency smarts: Disaster planning for your pets
- How to make your business preparedness plan
- Assembling an emergency car kit: The basics and beyond
- How to shut off utilities in an emergency
- How to fix up a first aid kit
Protect your home and belongings
- How to help protect your home against flooding
- What kind of home damage can a flood cause?
- Back up important documents for emergencies
- Protect your belongings with a home inventory
- How to waterproof your belongings
Assess what's coming
Insurance info: What's covered?
Floods can cause major damage to a home and its contents. Learn about who needs flood insurance and how to buy a policy to help protect your house or your belongings.
- Do I need flood insurance?
- Flood insurance at a glance
- How do you buy flood insurance?
- I'm buying a home: How do I assess its flood risk?
- Flood insurance myths: What you need to know
- Can renters buy flood insurance?
- Does homeowners insurance cover water damage?
- Flooding 101: Download our guide on floods and flood insurance
Wherever you are in the recovery process, these resources can help you get back on your feet.
Frequently asked questions
Tips on rebuilding
- Clean your flooded home
- How to clean up mold in your home after a flood
- Beware of home improvement scams
- Tax relief for those in disaster areas
- How to defer your mail after a disaster strikes
- Tips to help salvage flood-damaged family heirlooms
For small business owners
Helpful resources and catastrophe information that can help you prepare for severe weather events and natural disasters.