Published: September 2013
Saving money is important to a lot of us—and there may be more ways to save than you might think.
A good place to start is by taking steps to lower the amount you pay for auto insurance. Here are five easy steps that may help lower your premiums:
- Car safety and security features. Driving a car that has a number of built-in safety features, such as airbags and anti-lock brakes, and security features, like anti-theft and engine cut-off systems, may qualify you for discounts on your auto insurance premiums. Such vehicles are statistically less likely to be in an accident or stolen than those that don't have these features.
- Set higher deductibles. The higher your deductible—the amount of money you are willing to pay in the event of a claim—the lower your premium generally is. Typically, deductibles range from $0 to $1,500.
- Take a defensive driving course. Some auto insurance companies offer discounts for drivers who successfully complete a safe driving course at an accredited institution. Typically, these courses are taken by teenage drivers and seniors, but any driver may benefit from taking one.
- Clean out that garage. Many insurance companies offer discounts to people who park their cars inside a garage, rather than out on the street or in a driveway. Statistics show that vehicles in garages are less likely to be stolen or in accidents.
- Compare many auto insurance quotes. Be sure to get several auto insurance quotes when shopping around, then compare them side by side to pick the one that's best for your situation.
Want to see if you're eligible for discounts, or to adjust your deductible? Contact your Allstate agent today.