How to Fix Up a First Aid Kit
First aid kits are a must-have in any emergency plan. Even though you can buy these pre-made, if you go this route, it’s a good idea to check the kit contents and the expiration dates, just to make sure you have everything you need.
Compile a First Aid Kit
You can, of course, also make your own. The American Red Cross says that a first aid kit for a family of four should include:
- Two pairs of non-latex gloves
- Two 5 x 9 inch absorbent compress dressings
- Adhesive cloth tape (10 yards x 1 inch)
- Bandages and gauze
- One 3-inch wide roller bandage
- One 4-inch wide roller bandage
- Five 3 x 3 inch sterile gauze pads
- Five 4 x 4 inch sterile gauze pads
- 25 Adhesive bandages in a variety of sizes
- Two triangular bandages
- Antibiotic ointment
- Five antiseptic wipe packets
- Hydrocortisone ointment
- Oral thermometer (be sure it is not glass and does not contain mercury)
- Breathing masks with one-way valve
- Instant cold pack
- First aid instruction book
- Blanket/space blanket
- Personal items, such as
- Medication (including prescriptions and other health-related items)
- Emergency phone numbers
Ready.gov also suggests making sure you have over-the-counter medications on hand, such as:
- Pain relievers
If you’re making your own kit, store items in airtight bags and a sturdy container that’s easy to carry, says Ready.gov. The Red Cross also recommends keeping a first aid kit in your car and another in your home.
Originally published on January 12, 2018.
Show top-down view of a table top with all the first aid kit items arranged on it.
A set of hands will place a tackle box in the space.
Two pairs of gloves are added to the kit.
Absorbent compress dressings and gauze are added to the kit.
Bandages are added to the kit.
Adhesive cloth tape is added to the kit.
Tweezers and scissors are added to the kit.
Ointments are added to the kit.
Five antiseptic wipe packets are added to the kit.
Oral thermometer is added to the kit.
One breathing mask with one-way valve are added to the kit.
Instant cold pack is added to the kit.
Space blanket is added to the kit.
First aid instruction book and emergency phone numbers are added to the kit.
Medications are added to kit.