Do I Need Renters Insurance in College?

When you're in college, it may seem like all you own is the pizza box from last night's dinner or the library book gathering dust on your desk. However, unplanned events like fire and theft can make you realize how much your belongings are really worth. To avoid finding out once it's too late, check out Allstate's "How Much Stuff Do You Own?" tool for a value estimate.

College students studying in their apartment

How Can I Protect My Stuff?

Securing what you own through Personal Property Insurance can help you cover your bases if theft, fire, water damage or vandalism. That way, if your roommate leaves the hot plate burning or a neighbor's toilet overflows, you won't have to live without your favorite clothes, electronics or shoes for very long.

In addition, Reimbursed Living Expenses included in your Renters Insurance policies can help you pay for food, temporary housing and other costs. With all of your bases covered, you can keep your eyes on the books—and let Allstate handle the rest.

What Is Personal Property Insurance?

Personal Property Insurance can help you pay to replace your stuff if it's damaged or stolen. With Personal Property Insurance, you may be reimbursed for losses one of two ways:

  • Actual Cash Value coverage, which reimburses you for an item's market price (the amount you'd expect to receive for the lost item at a garage sale or auction web site)

  • Replacement Cost coverage, which covers what it would cost to replace the lost item as new (at the time the claim is made). Premiums for this type of coverage tend to be higher than those for Actual Cash Value coverage.

To determine which type of coverage might be best for you, at a price that won't break your student bank account, call 1-866-605-8250.

Are There Other Types of Insurance I Might Need?

If you go to school in an area where flooding is common (you can view a FEMA-issued flood map to assess your risk), you may want to consider Flood Insurance. As the federal government sets flood insurance rates via its National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), most home and property insurance does not cover flood damage, which means additional coverage is necessary.

Life during college is anything but predictable. Keep an up-to-date inventory of the items in your apartment and ensure that the proper information will be at your fingertips should you ever need to make a claim.

Make sure your property is protected by getting a quick, no-obligation quote online, contacting your local Allstate agent or calling 1-866-605-8250 today.

Published: July 2012

The availability, qualifications and amounts of these coverages and discounts may vary from state to state. In addition, other terms, conditions and exclusions not described above may apply, and total savings may vary depending on the coverages purchased. In some states, we may offer coverages and discounts that are not listed here. For more information regarding your eligibility for certain coverages and savings opportunities, please contact your Allstate agent.

Get A Quote

Your location is set for:

Ashburn, VA 20147 Edit

Retrieve a saved quote

Agents Near 20147

  • Wendy Moore
    Wendy Moore
    44075 Pipeline Plz Ste 305
    Ashburn, VA 20147
  • Malan Chakravarthi
    Malan Chakravarthi
    20609 Gordon Park Sq Ste 130
    Ashburn, VA 20147
  • Kristin Mullah
    Kristin Mullah
    44110 Ashbrn Shpg Plz Ste 2
    Ashburn, VA 20147
  • Mo Parsay
    Mo Parsay
    44355 Premier Plz Ste 210
    Ashburn, VA 20147
  • Sina Djalili
    Sina Djalili
    42882 Truro Parish Dr Ste 103
    Ashburn, VA 20148
Agent finder map
ECC Monitor: OK