The Consumer Council is delighted to announce that Allstate NI is its first Water Champion, Gold winner in NI. Allstate NI has been awarded a Gold award for saving water and providing water efficiency information to all staff. You can save between 30% and 50% off your water bills by implementing no or low cost water reduction technologies.
Allstate NI become Northern Ireland's first "Water Champion"! Working with the Consumer Council we are trying to reduce our water use and raise awareness of what we can all do at work and at home to look after this precious resource.
Using water more wisely helps the environment and saves money, and it's easier than you think. Simple actions can have big impacts. Here are some tips to help you save water, energy and money:
- Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth—a running tap can use up to 6 litres of water a minute
- Fix dripping taps—a dripping tap wastes at least 5,500 litres of water a year
- Drop a hippo in your toilet—nearly a third of the water used in your home is flushed down the toilet. A water displacement device (a hippo) can reduce this by a third in older toilets. You can get one free from NI Water.
- Check for leaks and make sure your pipes are insulated for winter
Only 4 per cent of the drinkable water you use every day is used for drinking. Don't cut back on the amount of tap water you drink, but here are a few ways you can cut waste whilst staying hydrated and healthy:
Heating water at home is responsible for up to 25 per cent of your household energy bill and 5 per cent of UK CO2 emissions.
- Showers use around 12 per cent of home water use. Cut one minute off your shower to use less water, save energy and money.
- Wash up using a bowl—washing under a running tap can use dozens of litres of water. Using a washing up bowl can cut water wastage by over 50 per cent and means you are heating less hot water. You should also use a bowl to wash your vegetables—the left over water can be used to water the garden.
- Use a lid on your saucepans - they boil quicker, you don't have to put in so much water and the food tastes fresher.
- Always fully load your dishwasher and washing machine.
For more tips and information, and to read about the Water Champions awards, go to www.consumercouncil.org.uk/water