Back to top

Flood Insurance Coverage Options

Make sure your home is covered.

Help protect your house and belongings by purchasing a National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) policy through a knowledgeable Allstate agent.

An agent meets a woman and her partner to talk about their coverage options.

Protect your home from flood damage.

Get a home insurance quote or talk to an agent about adding flood insurance.1

Get a home quote Find an agent

What's covered by flood insurance?

When you purchase both types of flood insurance—Building Property and Personal Property (Contents)—you're helping protect yourself from a variety of flood-related damages. Here are some of the things each type can help cover.

Building property coverage
Provides coverage for the physical structure of your home or non-resident property, including electrical and plumbing systems, refrigerators, window blinds and more
Personal property (contents) coverage
Provides coverage for the items inside your home, like clothing, furniture, microwaves and televisions, at their value at the time of loss

What's not covered?

When it comes to flood damage, Building Property and Personal Property (Contents) policies won't cover:

  • Damage caused by moisture, mildew or mold that could have been avoided by the property owner
  • Currency, precious metals and valuable papers like stock certificates
  • Property and belongings outside of a building like trees, fences and swimming pools
  • Living expenses like temporary housing

Talk to your agent if you want to cover your property for more than NFIP's maximum limits.

Related resources

1Subject to National Flood Insurance Program terms, conditions and availability. The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is managed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), a component of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS). NFIP flood policies are underwritten by the federal government and sold and administered by private insurance companies like Allstate through the Write Your Own (WYO) Program. © 2018 Allstate Insurance Company, Northbrook, IL.

Excess Flood Insurance coverage may currently be available in your state. In order to qualify for an Excess Flood Insurance Policy, you first need to purchase a National Flood Insurance Policy through Allstate. Excess Flood Insurance is provided by one or more insurance carriers not owned by or affiliated with Allstate Insurance Company. Excess Flood Insurance is subject to availability and qualifications. Other terms, conditions and exclusions may apply. Contact your local Allstate agent to find out whether Flood Insurance coverage is available in your area.

Insurance, coverage and discounts are subject to terms and conditions, which may vary by state. Discount amounts and total savings will vary. Other terms, conditions and exclusions may apply.
ECC Monitor: OK