How to Fix Scratches on Your Hardwood Floors
Let’s face it: Scratches on your hardwood floors may be unavoidable. Everyday life — especially in a house full of kids or pets — can leave scratches on even the most pristine floors.
But rest assured, as there’s a quick and inexpensive fix for scratched hardwood floors. All you’ll need is a healthy snack: walnuts.
Why does this trick work? According to BobVila.com, the oils present in the walnut will layer over and help fill in the scratch. However, keep in mind that this method may not be as effective on deep scratches.
Step 1: Grab a walnut. (Yes, a walnut!)
Make sure to use a raw walnut. It should not be candied, spiced or cooked in any way.
Step 2: Rub the walnut over the scratch.
It’s a good idea to clean the hardwood floor first, says The Spruce. Then, you’ll want to rub the walnut over the scratch in the same direction as the wood grain. It should only take a few passes with the walnut to help make the scratch disappear.
Step 3: Brush your fingers over the area.
A few strokes over the scratched area should do the trick.
Step 4: Let the scratched area sit for five minutes.
The walnut’s natural oils need time to soak into the wood.
Step 5: Buff the area with a soft washcloth.
If you don’t have a washcloth handy, BobVila.com says any soft cloth, such as a dishcloth, can work.
Don’t try this trick if you have an allergy to walnuts. And remember, if you have dogs, you’ll want to keep them out of the area until you’re finished cleaning up the scratches. Walnuts can be toxic to them, says the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
Discover more ways to hep keep your floors in good shape. Read up on how to remove stains from your carpet and how to remove salt residue from your floors with vinegar.
Originally published on October 10, 2018.
– [CHEERY PIANO MUSIC.]
– [VIDEO OPENS ON A SHINY, DARK HARDWOOD FLOOR.]
– [A SMALL CHILD WITH A TOY DUMP TRUCK DROPS ROCKS ON THE FLOOR. A DOG THEN JUMPS AROUND ON THE FLOOR AND A WOODEN CHAIR IS SHOWN MOVING BACK AND FORTH ACROSS THE FLOOR.]
– [FEMALE NARRATOR]: Let’s face it: Scratches on your hardwood floors are unavoidable.
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: How to: Remove scratches from a hardwood floor, 8 minutes
– Learn how to easily remove scratches and scuffs from your hardwood floors, using a walnut.
– [VIEW CHANGES TO A LIGHTER WOOD FLOORING. WALNUTS AND A BLUE CLOTH ARE ON THE FLOOR.]
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: What you’ll need: Walnut and Washcloth
– You’ll need a couple things to get started: a walnut and a soft cloth, like a washcloth. This hack will take you about 8 minutes.
– [VIEW CHANGES TO A BLUE SCREEN.]
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: Step 1
– [CAMERA PANS TO SHOW AN UNSHELLED WALNUT LAYING ON THE WOOD FLOOR.]
– [AN “X” APPEARS OVER THE WALNUT TO INDICATE IT IS THE INCORRECT TYPE OF WALNUT.]
– To start, grab a raw walnut. It should be removed from the shell. Be sure it’s not be candied, spiced or cooked in any way.
– [CAMERA PANS TO SHOW CANDIED AND COOKED WALNUTS LAYING ON THE WOOD FLOOR. AN “X”’ APPEARS OVER BOTH WALNUTS TO INDICATE THEY ARE THE INCORRECT TYPE OF WALNUT.]
– [CAMERA PANS TO THE LAST RAW, UNCOOKED WALNUT. A GREEN CHECK APPEARS OVER THE WALNUT TO INDICATE IT IS THE CORRECT TYPE OF WALNUT TO USE.]
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: Step 2
– [VIEW CHANGES TO SHOW A HAND RUBBING THE WALNUT OVER SCRATCHES ON A DARK HARDWOOD FLOOR.]
– [ARROWS MOVE FROM RIGHT TO LEFT ON THE SCREEN, INDICATING THE DIRECTION OF THE WOOD GRAIN.]
– Rub the walnut over the scratch in the same direction as the wood grain. A few passes with the walnut should help to make the scratch disappear.
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: Step 3
– [VIEW CHANGES TO SHOW A HAND GENTLY RUNNING FINGERS OVER WHERE THE SCRATCHES WERE ON THE FLOOR.]
– Brush your fingers over the area, gently rubbing where the scratches were. A few times should do the trick!
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: Step 4
– [VIEW CHANGES TO SHOW A HAND HOLDING AN APPLE-SHAPED TIMER OVER THE WOOD FLOOR. THE TIMER IS SET TO 5 MINUTES AND PLACED ON THE FLOOR.]
– Let the scratched area sit for five minutes. This gives the walnut’s natural oils some time to soak into the wood.
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: Step 5
– [HAND HOLDING A SOFT WASHCLOTH APPEARS AND USES THE CLOTH TO GENTLY WIPE OVER THE FLOOR.]
– You’re almost done. Buff the area with a soft cloth, like a washcloth, and see how your scratches have disappeared.
– [VIEW CUTS TO SHOW A WASHCLOTH AND WALNUTS MOVING WHIMSICALLY ACROSS A LIGHT HARDWOOD FLOOR.]
– Well done! Enjoy your spiffy, scratch-free floors.
– [ALLSTATE LOGO APPEARS]
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: Visit allstate.com/blog