Help Prevent Car Doors From Freezing With Cooking Spray
When dealing with the frigid temperatures of winter, there’s not much worse than coming out to your car to find the doors frozen shut. According to Lifehacker, car doors can freeze because water from rain or snow gets into the rubber seal, or gasket, around the door and then freezes when the temperatures drop. Fortunately, there is a simple trick that may help prevent this from happening, using nothing but ordinary household cooking spray.
Apply the spray to the door’s rubber seal weekly during the coldest winter months, or as needed before expected icy, frigid storms, says Brian L. Gochenour, laser operations manager and sales engineer at Broadway Metal Works.
Step 1: Grab some cooking spray.
Any ordinary cooking spray should work.
Step 2: Spray your car door’s rubber seal.
Open your car door, and look for the rubber gasket all around its edge. Spray the rubber on the top, side and bottom of the door with the cooking spray.
Step 3: Wipe off any excess with a paper towel.
Take a dry paper towel and gently rub the rubber seal to get rid of drips and excess spray.
Step 4: Repeat process on each of your vehicle’s doors.
Apply the cooking spray to each door on your car. This should help prevent the doors from freezing shut, and you’ll be able to get into your vehicle with ease in the cold weather.
Originally published on November 15, 2016.
– [A VEHICLE IS PARKED IN A DRIVEWAY.]
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: Before freezing weather
– [VIEW CHANGES TO A PERSON’S HANDS AND THEY ARE WEARING WINTER GLOVES. THE HANDS ARE HOLDING A CANISTER OF COOKING SPRAY.]
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: Cooking spray [AN ARROW POINTS TO THE CANISTER.]
– [THE PERSON BEGINS TO SPRAY THE INTERIOR SEAL OF THE VEHICLE DOOR WITH THE COOKING SPRAY FROM TOP TO BOTTOM.]
– [VIEW CHANGES TO SHOW THE GLOVED HANDS HOLDING A ROLL OF PAPER TOWELS. A HAND TEARS OFF A PAPER TOWEL.]
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: Paper towel [AN ARROW POINTS TO THE ROLL OF PAPER TOWELS.]
– [THE PERSON USES THE PAPER TOWEL TO WIPE DOWN THE INTERIOR SEAL OF THE VEHICLE DOOR TO REMOVE ANY EXCESS COOKING SPRAY.]
– [VIEW CHANGES TO SHOW A GLOVED HAND OPENING AND CLOSING THE CAR DOOR.]
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: Success!
– [THE PERSON GETS INTO THE VEHICLE.]
– [ALLSTATE LOGO]
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: Quick Fix
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: allstate.com/blog