Quick Fix: Defrost Your Windshield
During those cold winter months, you may often find your windshield covered in frost. Maybe you let the car run with the defrost on, or you get out an ice scraper to clear your windshield. But, Meteorologist Ken Weathers has a tip that may help you clear up the frost quickly and with less effort.
Step 1: Mix the Solution
Put on rubber gloves, then mix two parts rubbing alcohol with one part water. (Do not use hot water, Weathers says, because it may crack your windshield. Room temperature or cold water is fine. Isopropyl alcohol can be used instead of rubbing alcohol, too.)
Step 2: Get a Spray Bottle
Pour the mixture into an empty spray bottle.
Step 3: Spray the Mixture
Spray the mixture onto your windshield, and watch the frost clear up.
You can even leave the spray bottle with the mixture in your car, because rubbing alcohol has a freezing point of 128 degrees below zero (in Fahrenheit), says Weathers.
As the temperatures drop, be ready for frosty days by having this simple defrosting spray at hand. By spending a few minutes to make this mixture, this quick fix can help you get on the road a little quicker.
Originally published on January 4, 2017.
– [A VEHICLE IS OUTSIDE ON A COLD WINTER DAY. THE WINDSHIELD IS FROZEN OVER.]
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: Brr!
– [THE SCENE CHANGES TO HANDS WEARING SAFETY GLOVES. ONE HAND IS HOLDING A PLASTIC SPRAY BOTTLE. THE OTHER HAND IS HOLDING A BOTTLE OF WATER.]
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: 1 part water (not hot) [HAND POURS WATER INTO THE SPRAY BOTTLE.]
– [HAND SWITCHES OUT THE BOTTLE OF WATER FOR A BOTTLE OF RUBBING ALCOHOL.]
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: 2 parts rubbing alcohol [HAND POURS RUBBING ALCOHOL INTO THE SPRAY BOTTLE.]
– [HANDS TWIST THE TOP ONTO THE SPRAY BOTTLE.]
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: Twist. Twist. Click.
– [VIEW CHANGES TO A CLOSEUP OF THE FROZEN WINDSHIELD. A HAND USES THE SPRAY BOTTLE TO SPRAY THE WATER AND RUBBING ALCOHOL SOLUTION ALL OVER THE WINDSHIELD.]
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: Spray. Spray. Spray.
– [VIEW ZOOMS OUT TO SHOW THE VEHICLE’S ENTIRE WINDSHIELD. THERE ARE NOW TWO SETS OF HANDS SPRAYING DOWN THE WINDSHIELD.]
– [HANDS EXIT THE SCREEN.]
– [THE FROST ON THE WINDSHIELD SLOWLY DISAPPEARS.]
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: Ta-da!
– [ALLSTATE LOGO]
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: Quick Fix
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: allstate.com/blog