Quick Fix: Avoid Door Dings With A Pool Noodle
It can make you cringe when it happens: You pull your car into your garage, people get out and you hear the car door slam into the wall. Just like that, your car door has a ding. We’ve all been there, but there’s good news. If you’ve got a tight squeeze in your garage, you may be able to use a pool noodle to help protect your car doors, according to Precision Garage Door of Salt Lake.
Step 1: Cut a dry pool noodle in half, lengthwise.
Use a utility knife or box cutter. Take care when cutting and be sure to do so on a flat surface such as a workbench or the garage floor.
Step 2: Determine the height where your car door meets the garage wall.
Carefully open your car door to determine where it makes contact with the wall. Using a pencil, lightly mark the point of contact on the wall.
Step 3: Draw a horizontal line as a guide.
With that mark as your guide, draw a line horizontally across the wall.
Step 4: Attach the half-noodle to the garage wall.
Put strips of mounting tape on the edges of the noodle. Attach the noodle to the wall, horizontally.
Step 5: Test your handiwork.
Again, carefully open the car door, which should now meet the soft pool noodle instead of the wall.
– [VIEW SHOWS ONE SIDE OF AN EMPTY GARAGE. THE GARAGE WALL IS SHOWN ON THE LEFT SIDE. A VEHICLE PULLS INSIDE THE GARAGE AND STOPS.]
– [THE PERSON INSIDE THE VEHICLE OPENS THE CAR DOOR. THE DOOR HITS THE GARAGE WALL.]
– [VIEW CHANGES TO SHOW FOUR ITEMS ONSCREEN.]
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: Measuring tape (+ pencil) [A MEASURING TAPE AND PENCIL ARE SHOWN.]
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: Box cutter [A BOX CUTTER IS SHOWN.]
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: Pool noodle [BLUE POOL NOODLES ARE SHOWN.]
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: Mounting tape [A ROLL OF MOUNTING TAPE IS SHOWN.]
– [VIEW ZOOMS IN ON THE MEASURING TAPE AND PENCIL.]
– [VIEW CHANGES TO SHOW THE MEASURING TAPE LINED UP AGAINST THE GARAGE WALL, WHERE THE VEHICLE DOOR HIT IT.]
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: Door impact [AN ARROW POINTS TO THE AREA WHERE THE DOOR AND WALL MEET.]
– [A HAND TAKES THE PENCIL AND DRAWS A LINE WHERE THE DOOR HIT THE WALL.]
– [VIEW CHANGES TO SHOW HANDS CAREFULLY CUTTING A POOL NOODLE LENGTHWISE WITH THE BOX CUTTER.]
– [HANDS PULL THE POOL NOODLE IN HALF.]
– [THE ROLL OF MOUNTING TAPE IS SHOWN.]
– [HANDS TAKE FOUR LONG STRIPS OF MOUNTING TAPE. THEY ARE PLACED DOWN THE FOUR EDGES OF THE POOL NOODLE.]
– [VIEW CHANGES TO SHOW THE POOL NOODLES TAPED TO THE GARAGE WALL.]
– [A VEHICLE PULLS INTO THE GARAGE AND THE PERSON INSIDE OPENS THE DOOR. THE DOOR HITS THE POOL NOODLES.]
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: SQUEAK
– [ALLSTATE LOGO]
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: Quick Fix
– [ONSCREEN TEXT]: allstate.com/blog