The holiday season is a time for celebrating with friends and family. It's also prime time for break-ins and theft. Start the holidays off right-and relieve some of your stress-make sure your home and your car are protected with the right insurance coverages.
Good food, good cheer and-of course-gifts are focal points of the holiday season. The hustle and bustle, however, can blind us to heightened risk that surrounds us this time of year. Thefts and break-ins often increase during the holidays, since thieves know that many homes are empty and cars are stocked with high-priced gifts. In fact, the FBI reports that nearly 400,000 burglaries occur in the United States in November and December each year.
1. Always leave a light on. Everyone looks forward to long vacations over the holidays-especially thieves. Empty houses are prime targets for burglary, but hiding the signs of vacancy can fool thieves into thinking you're still home. Leaving lights on, asking a neighbor to get your mail and setting automatic timers on holiday lights and decorations can give the appearance of being home. It's also smart to do a home security check and make any necessary updates before you leave.
2. Put your car on lock down. Shopping goes hand-in-hand with the holiday season. As you rush from store to store, it's easy to leave bags and packages in the backseat of your car-and in plain sight of thieves. Be sure to hide your purchases or put them in the trunk, park in well-lit areas, and lock your doors.
3. Protect your third-floor walk-up. Even security doors and building superintendants won't deter a committed thief. Allstate's "How Much Stuff Do You Own? " tool can show you what it would to take to replace your belongings if you lost them all. In the meantime, there are steps you can take to ensure your apartment is a secure as possible. The first-and perhaps most important-is to be vigilant. Ensure the locks on the building doors, whether to the laundry room, the bike room, or the outside world, are in proper working order. If they aren't, call management. When leaving your apartment, be sure your balcony door is locked-thieves don't always enter through the front door. And finally, check your windows periodically to make sure the hardware is secure.
4. Give yourself peace of mind. No matter how you prepare, theft can still find a way into your life. But, if you invest in Allstate's homeowners, renters, or automobile insurance, you can rest assured that you'll recover your seasonal cheer. More than 16 million households have chosen Allstate insurance, which has received an A+ superior financial strength rating by A.M. Best.
5. Know what you've got. If you become the victim of theft, it will make the claim process easier if you have a complete inventory of any missing items. The Allstate Digital Locker™ iPhone application now puts that record at your fingertips. Using this app, you can organize your personal property by room, category, or in item lists. You can also photograph items and attribute a cost and quantity to each one.
To learn more about how Allstate can put you in good hands this holiday season, get a fast, no-obligation quote online, find an agent near you, or call us at 1-866-621-6900.