Here are some tips you should consider for protecting your property from a hurricane. Remember, a few minutes now can save you hours afterwards.
Click here for previous step
Click here for next step
Back to Allstate.com/getready
- If you're an Allstate policyholder, register with the Customer Care Center at allstate.com. This will give you 24/7 access to your insurance policies, let you report claims and track them.
- Ensure you have hurricane shutters or 3/4-inch outdoor plywood boards for each window of your home.
- Install anchors and pre-drill holes for the plywood, so you can put it up quickly in the event of a storm.
- Install head and foot bolts on doors for extra protection.
- Install hurricane straps or clips to help hold your roof to the walls of your home.
- Make sure your landscaping does not become a wind hazard by removing any diseased and damaged limbs from trees.
- Consider building a safe room in your home to withstand high winds and flying debris. More information is available at FEMA.gov.